Sunday 2 August 2015

... rogue courgette

Hello there everyone,

I did a blog post a while ago to compare the growth of the courgettes planted in the raised beds to those planted in the open ground.

All plants are doing well. Those in the raised beds are still considerably larger and are producing courgettes like madness! It is now that I ask myself why on earth I planted out 9 of them!

I planted out two varieties this year, a green one simply called "Dark Green Zucchini" and also a yellow one called "Golden Delight". Both varieties are growing very strongly and both are very productive.

For the first time since I have been growing courgettes, I have a rogue or mutant variety.

The seed all came from the "Golden Delight" package and all the plants are growing true to type except one. It is a mixture of a very dark green splotched on top of the bright yellow as you can see from this photo. All the courgettes from this plant are the same, not just the odd one here and there.


They taste exactly the same as the regular ones but they are certainly striking to look at. This is a hybrid variety of courgette but I am tempted to save a few seeds just to see what would happen next year if I try to grow it.  :)

That is all for me for today. Hope you are enjoying your weekend and your long weekend if you live here in Ontario. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment