Saturday 1 August 2015

... lilies

Good evening everybody,

A lot of my blog posts are about homesteading, gardening, preserving the harvest and, my personal favourite, trying not to have any food go to waste.

I take all of those things very seriously and working in my garden and trying to get the best from it is something I do every day.

However, in addition to growing vegetables I simply could not live without flowers. As we have been here such a short time I have not yet had the time to start on any flower gardens. When we moved here I brought a few plants with me which I have tucked into spots here and there as well as making a section of garden a designated "nursery border". That is where I park the plants for now until they eventually have a permanent home in a bed or border.

One of my absolute favourite plants are members of the lily family. I have a special fondness for Daylilies. I have several growing here now in the nursery border and they are now in bloom. Of course each blossom only lasts for one day but they all have such beauty while it lasts.

Here are some photos I took today to show you how lovely they can be. This first picture is a brand new one I bought this year. 
It is called "Adorable Tiger". Unfortunately I do not remember the names of all the others.









 These last couple pictures are not Daylilies as you can see. I planted these out last fall and was stunned at how beautiful they are now that they are starting to open. And the fragrance is just heavenly.



I know that it is very important to grow wonderful organic fruit and vegetables to nourish the body but in truth I do believe that flowers nourish the soul.

Thanks for visiting. Hope you are all having a terrific weekend. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment