Monday 25 May 2015

... good news and bad news

Hello everybody,

OK, the bad news first. Something, and I know not what, has eaten all of our kale, kohlrabi and broccoli plants, except for three of them, right down to the ground. No footprints at the scene of the crime, no slug trails left behind and I could not find anything when I checked in the soil where the plants should have been. It was like they simply vanished. Very upsetting when I grew all those plants from seed and was hoping for a great crop of broccoli this year.
If anyone knows what is the likely culprit, please do let me know.

Now that I am thoroughly depressed, here is the good news. It rained all day today and we badly needed it. Despite that fact, I managed to get out and plant 125 June bearing strawberry crowns. I went and bought myself some rain gear from the hardware store. Pants and a jacket with a hood, all for $17.99. Thought I would wear the pants since I would be kneeling down on the wet ground but would wear my net bug shirt instead of the jacket as the Black Flies are overwhelming because of the rain.

I got about 50 plants in the ground and, yes, you guessed it, it started to come down in buckets. I stuck it out and planted another 75 with the rain pouring down my back. There was no time to run to the house for the rain jacket so I just put my head down and kept going.

I have another 50 Day Neutral crowns left to plant and will likely get them done on Wednesday. I will get Frank to take some photos of the planting process.

Thanks a lot for stopping by. Have a great day. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment