Thursday 7 May 2015

... a bit more about asparagus

Good evening everybody,

We have been having amazingly hot weather here in eastern Ontario. Today felt more like a day in July than early May. 

Our fruit trees are seriously thinking of bursting into bloom and I really wish that they would not. If we get a cold spell, then that will be the end of the fruit. I really hate it when we do not get a proper Spring. Winter ends only to have us leap directly into Summer weather. But enough about that.

If you are considering putting in a new veggie garden, I would strongly suggest that you consider asparagus, obviously only if you like it or course. 
It is a long term commitment but the benefits make the time well worth while. I will have a blog post about planting the crowns shortly when my plant order arrives as we are putting in an additional 48 crowns to replace the dead ones.

Tonight I harvested two pounds of it. We eat tons of the stuff when it is in season that then that is it. No more until next year. tomorrow we will have an asparagus omelet for breakfast. Tonight we had roasted asparagus and pasta with clam sauce.

Roasting it is so incredibly easy. I wash them to get all the sand and dirt off. Dry them off well and lay out on a cookie sheet. I drizzle extra virgin olive oil over them and then add some salt and pepper. Toss them around so they are evenly coated. Into a 400F degree oven they go but they only take a few minutes. You definitely do not want to over cook them. Absolutely delicious.




Well that is it for me for tonight. Hope you are enjoying this sunny weather. Personally, I have my fingers crossed for rain. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment