Monday 23 March 2015

... time to cut wood

Hello everybody ...

I am back again with one more post for today.

We have two different heating systems in our home. We have a propane fireplace and a propane stove (it looks just like a wood stove) and we also have a wood burning cookstove in our kitchen.

That cookstove is the apple of my eye. It is a Pioneer Princess and it is just wonderful. Because our home is passive solar, we seldom have the woodstove going. I usually will light a fire in it around 4:00ish or so and then it warms up the house and I use it to cook on the top surface and in the oven also.




We absolutely love it here where we live, but, if we had just one thing that we could change it would be to have a hardwood wood lot. We have almost exclusively softwood here, mostly pine, spruce and cedar. Now the cedar is great for kindling but we prefer to burn hardwood for real heat, especially oak or ash.

So, the other day we purchased a tandem load of wood. It is sitting out there right now, just staring in at me. I will not be the one to cut and split it. That will be Frank's job. I will certainly stack it after it is cut. You know what they say about heating with wood. It warms you when you cut it, warms you when you stack it and then warms you again when you eventually burn it. So true. 


I got to thinking about that pile of wood and happened to look at the fliers that come with our local newspaper. And what did I happen to see but a sale on a 5 ton electric log-splitter from Canadian Tire. It was $200 off the regular price.

Off I went to the store and asked lots of intelligent questions but the most important one was "can I return it if my husband does not like it AFTER he tries it out". Absolutely, was the answer. Save your receipt.

So, in the next week or so Frank will start to saw up all that wood and we will get to see this puppy in action. I am hoping it is all that they say it is. Since it is electric, we are not using any fossil fuels to run it. I know it will not be as powerful as those huge gas guzzling 22 ton behemoths but if it can help out and make less work for Frank, then I think that it will be worth it. I really hope he likes it.

Stay tuned for the results.  Thanks so much for visiting. See you soon. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment