Friday 8 April 2016

... leeks and tomatoes

Hello again everybody,

It is the beginning of April and although it is still cold and we still have snow on the ground here in eastern Ontario I have been thinking about the garden for some time now.

Back in February I started off two pots of Leek seeds. The variety I am growing this year is "Large Musselburg". They started off quite well and have never looked back. They are doing simply splendidly. In the past I have trimmed them down but have not done so this year.


 I am planning a new method of planting them, one that Eliot Coleman uses and I am hoping for great things from the. I will do a post on the planting when the time comes.

In March I stared seeds for 11 varieties of Heirloom tomatoes from seed that I saved from last year. All of them germinated quite quickly and did very well.


As soon as they had their first true leaves I pricked them out and transplanted them into individual cell packs. I will transplant one more time into larger pots for their last 3-4 weeks of growing before they go into the ground.


As you can see from this photo, they took it very well with no shock and have already put on some growth just in the last couple of days. I will follow their progress as the season advances.


That is it for today. Thanks for visiting. Have a wonderful weekend. Cheers.

~ Melanie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment