Sunday 24 April 2016

... growing good garlic

Hello again everyone,

This is just a quick additional post for tonight.

Last fall we planted out several beds of garlic which we mulched heavily with straw for winter protection.

A week or so ago I removed the straw to allow the sun to warm up the beds. 

The garlic is now up several inches and growing quite well.

Since we use wood to heat our house, I have saved some of the wood ash and have used it to side dress the garlic. All members of the onion family appreciate the use of wood ash so I have saved the rest of it and will use it when I have planted out the leeks.


After a light sprinkle of ash around each of the plants I have replaced the straw mulch to help to suppress any weeds and also to help to retain moisture in the soil.

Thanks for stopping by again. Cheers.

  ~ Melanie ~

No comments:

Post a Comment