Friday 18 September 2015

...tomato sauce .. but wait! It's GREEN!

Hi there everybody,

I noted in a previous post that a couple of the tomato varieties we are growing this year are green ones, namely Green Zebra and Green Sausage.

Because the Green Sausage is a paste variety we decided to try to make some tomato sauce from them with a few of the Green Zebra thrown in. 

They all get washed then cut into quarters and then we put them through our trusty, hand crank tomato press. 



I am sure it has a proper name but I do not know what it is. We bought it about 20 years ago and it still works a treat. It separates the skin and seeds from all the flesh and juice.


I sauteed up an onion with a couple cloves of garlic in some olive oil and added the tomato pulp and cooked it down for a couple of hours. It looks a lovely shade of green and I am sure it will make a fantastic pasta sauce with that wonderful unusual colour!


In this case because there was not all that much sauce I simply put it into containers and froze it. Normally when we make a large batch I process it in mason jars in a hot water bath.

We are in the process of making sauce from all the red paste tomatoes we have collected but that is for another day.

The weekend is upon us so. I hope everybody has a great weekend and thanks so much for stopping by to visit with me. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment