Thursday 23 July 2015

... fly fishing

Hello everybody,

This may come as a bit of a surprise, especially to those of you who actually know me, but I have taken up the art and sport of fly fishing.

I had never taken a liking to fishing in the past but then I watched a show about fly fishing and there was just something about it that caught my attention. I decided that I wanted to give it a try.

Then a very sad and unfortunate thing occurred. The father of my very dear brother-in-law Ernie passed away. After the funeral Ernie said that he wanted me to have his dad's fly rods as he thought it would make his dad smile to think of me fishing with them. I was so touched at his kindness and thoughtfulness.

So today I gave it a try. A friend of mine, who knows how to do just about everything, gave me some lessons to teach me the basics. We went down to the river, waded in wearing my running shoes (yes, waders or even high boots would have been nice) and we fished for an hour or so. In that time I caught about a dozen fish, all of which went right back into the river. A few of them were large enough to have kept but we did not keep any today. 



 

I have to say that I immediately fell in love with this sport. I said already that it is an art in addition to being a sport as there is such a grace and elegance to it. I am hooked.  :)  

I will be back at it again soon, this time, I will be looking for dinner.

Thanks for visiting. Have a great day. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment