Tuesday 16 June 2015

... planting continued

Good evening everyone,

We have been having a little bit of a humidity heat wave the last few days. Horrible weather. Storms threatening all the time and so humid you would think you could cut the air with a knife. I hate this kind of weather. I feel exhausted just sitting still.

Well it does not really matter how I feel because there was work to be done in the garden.

Yesterday Frank cleared a large patch of ground for me on the other side of the garden from the new raised beds. We had put some veggies in this area the first year we had the garden but then the couch grass returned with a fury and it was quite a bit of work to clear it out. I am sure there is still lots of the roots in there and we will see the grass soon enough. Frank dumped in lots of well rotted horse manure (no, we do not have a horse, a friend does and we get the manure from them) and then tilled it all in well.

Today I tried to time my work to coincide with cloud cover and I planted out yet more tomatoes and lots of squash. Acorn, Delicata (this is a new variety for us), Butternut and Hubbard. I filled the entire area with them and they can send out their vines and go all over the place with no problem at all.

I have also transplanted more broccoli, kohlrabi and kale plants into cell modules. I will grow them on for about another month before I put them in the garden. Fingers crossed these ones do not get devoured like the last ones.

I had purchased a small fig plant last summer and we managed to keep it alive over the winter in the house. It is back outside and today it moved into a larger pot and I am delighted to report that there is one tiny little fig on it. No idea at all whether it will get larger and ripen so we can share it or not but one can always hope.

And lastly I transplanted all my dahlias into clay pots which I have near the front door along with some pots of herbs, namely basil, dill and parsley. I also have a pot of chives that overwintered in it's clay pot. We will not get around to doing any garden work near the house this year so the pots of dahlias and herbs are all that there is.

That is it for me for tonight. I am very thankful that the heat has gone, at least for the moment and there is wonderful cool air flooding in all through all the open windows. We will have no problem sleeping tonight. 

Thanks so much for visiting. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment