Wednesday 11 February 2015

Reducing Food Waste

Hello friends,

I have been reading lately, and hearing on the radio, about the amount of food that the average North American family wastes. They estimate that around 30% - 40% of the food that is purchased ends up in the rubbish bin.

Now, I don't know about you, but I find that to be utterly shocking.

The mere idea of wasting something as precious as food is totally foreign to me. We strive all the time to be sure that no food goes into the garbage. Sometimes we fail and we lose something in the back of the fridge but not often. 

I was preparing dinner tonight and we were having broccoli and carrots as the veggies to go along with our shepherd's pie. As I began to cut up the broccoli I wondered how many people just cut off the floret bits at the top and chuck the stem in the compost bowl, or even worse, the garbage!



There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating the stem, in fact, it is quite as delicious as the rest of the plant. You merely need to peel off the outer layer which can be a bit tough and you have some lovely broccoli. In fact, eating the stem means you have about 50% more broccoli to eat.



So the next time you are eating broccoli, do not forget about the stem. :)

Thanks a lot for visiting with me. Have a great evening. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment