Saturday 21 February 2015

Clean out Yer Fridge!

Greetings to you all!

I have a routine in my house regarding the refrigerator and using up what is in it.

Every Sunday, I make out the menus for the coming week. And before I start, the first thing I do is look in the fridge to see what is in there. 

As you will see from this photo, my fridge is NOT jammed full of stuff. We do have all the usual suspects in there like mayo, mustard, peanut butter, etc.
But we do not have lots of little containers that have been in there for ages turning into science projects. I also prefer to use glass containers if I can. For one thing, you can see what is in there, and secondly, as a personal preference, I do not like plastic.



 


We try VERY hard not to waste food in our house. In the first place, food is expensive here where I live and probably more important, I think that it is simply shameful to waste food.

After a meal there is pretty much always something left over. Yes indeed, it does go into a container and it gets put in the fridge. Depending on what it is, I am usually the one to eat the leftovers for my lunch. I actually love leftovers and it is fun to see just what you can do with them so they rarely last long. Today I fried up some leftover garlic mashed potatoes in a bit of olive oil and had them with some cheese and a bit of leftover salad. Yum!



However, on occasion there is more of them than I can consume during the week and on Sunday, there they are. Waiting. So, I happily oblige them by making note of what they are and what can I do with them.

Let me give you an example. When we had the meal with the garlic mash, we also had roasted vegetables, you know: carrots, parsnips, red bell pepper and sweet potato and garlic. Well, there is still a container of them in the fridge. So, I will use them up on Monday and make roasted vegetable soup. There is just enough of them that if I add about 2 cups of chicken stock and then zap them with the blender I will have a lovely velvety roasty toasty soup to start dinner. Most of the work for that soup is already done for me as the veg is already roasted. Just add the stock, blend and enjoy. 

By having a good look at what is in there, EVERY WEEK, you will not lose stuff, you will have fast to make meals from leftovers that taste delicious and you will stop wasting food. So, make it a habit. Every week, have a look at what is in there and decide how you can use it up. And then, as NIKE say, just do it!!!

Thanks a lot for visiting. Stop by again soon and do let me know what you think of the blog and any suggestions. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie - I've been enjoying your posts - great idea! but I'm wondering if you also have a Facebook page? I have a nice following and I wanted to share your posts on Facebook. You can continue to write your blog on the program that you have it in but you can also create a link that can be posted and shared on Facebook. I see that you are attached to Google+ - I'm afraid I really don't know much about that, so maybe I'm just missing something :) Great articles - keep them coming! Pat Forrest, Renfrew, Ontario

    ReplyDelete