Thursday 19 February 2015

Experiment update and some new growth

A wonderful chilly Ontario morning to you all,

We are in the deep freeze here in Ontario with LOTS of snow and no real end in sight of this prolonged cold weather. We are well below seasonal temperatures and they predict that will continue for at least another two weeks at least. 

If the sun is shining, I do not really care all that much about the cold. Our home is passive solar and on a sunny day, it is like a day at the beach in our house. :) Also, I have my new baby plants on the windowsill and they would like some sunshine so that they can become adult plants. :)

OK, enough of this foolishness!  

The ongoing experiment about garden expenses versus garden production continues. To date I have spent $158.49 on seed and planting mix. 

Also to date I have harvested absolutely nothing so I am totally in the red at the moment. That is to be expected. However, as you will see from these photos, that will all change shortly. I have planted out a large pot of assorted lettuces that I will use as cut and come again micro greens for salads. They are growing their little hearts out, bless them. 



Also, because I like to try things that people tell me I cannot do, I have also planted out a pot of bean seeds. These were old seed that I was not even sure would germinate but look at those little angels sprouting away like mad. I have never tried to grow beans on a window sill but I though, what the heck, I am going to give it a try. What do I have to lose? 



The pots of leeks are doing very well. They are straight and strong and about 2" - 3" tall now. I simply love leeks and would plant even more if I had he room this year, but I do not. When they reach about 6" tall I will trim them back a bit to encourage strong growth. Do not throw out those little cuttings. Carefully remove the seed remnants if they are still there and then use those little cuttings as you would chives. They are great in an omelet or scrambled eggs!



Well, that is it for me for today. We had a light dusting of snow last night and I need to don my snow pants and coat and get out there and get the the solar panels cleared off so we make power. Some power is still made with a bit of snow on the panels but not all that much. We try to be sure our battery bank is fully charged before nightfall, if possible, so even that little bit of snow hinders production. So, off I go. 

Thanks so much for visiting with me. Any comments you would care to leave about my blog would be appreciated. Have a great day. Cheers.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment